Friday, March 1, 2013

Communion and Cannibalism



Something has been bothering me all week. According to the Catholic tradition of transubstantiation the bread is literally the body and the wine (or in our case non-fermented kid friendly grape juice) is literally the blood. The way in which we do it, dipping the bread into the cup lead me to think, uh oh….Is this church sanctified cannibalism? By recombining the elements, are we reanimating Jesus? Are we creating zombie Jesus? Should I capitalize zombie in that sentence? Would this mean I am inhabited by a zombie type spirit? Would I want to eat brains? Would zombie Jesus eat human brains? If you ask me, that would be a serious step back for Him… 

Or maybe have I just come up with a simple way to describe the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment